2008 All News

clark and robertson win quarters

Robertson and Clark's run ends in Hong Kong semi-finals


Anthony Clark and Nathan Robertson, the last England pair in action at the Yonex Sunrise Hong Kong Open, went down in the men's doubles semi-finals today.

The English National champions lost 21-19 21-17 in 35 minutes to Korean third seeds Lee Yong Dae and Jung Jae Sung.

It was Lee Yong Dae who defeated Robertson in the Olympic mixed doubles in what turned out to be his last match with Gail Emms.

But this Hong Kong week, when Robertson and Clark came through qualifying to reach the semi-finals, was the best performance by the former European silver medallists since they teamed up again after the Olympic Games and will boost their world ranking.


Former European silver medallists Nathan Robertson and Anthony Clark won a 65-minute thriller against Malaysia's Chan Ching Ming and Choo Choon Eng to book their place in the men's doubles semi-finals at the Yonex Sunrise Hong Kong Open.

The English National champions are now just one win away from their first Super Series final after beating the Malaysians 24-26 21-19 21-18.

Robertson and Clark, who had to qualify for the main draw, could have won in two games. They led 17-10 and 20-17 in the opening game and wasted five game points before the Malaysian world No 17 pair took it their third game point 26-24.

The England pair, ranked No 103 but rising fast after this performance, edged the second game 21-19 on their second game point.

And in an equally close third game they clinched the match on their first match point 21-18.

In the semi-final they will face Korea's third seeds Jung Jae Sung and Lee Yong Dae, who won 17-21 21-15 21-11 against China's eighth seeds Gu Zhendong and Xu Chen.

In the other semi-final fourth seeds Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari will meet fifth seeds Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong in an all-Malaysian clash.



Nathan Robertson and Anthony Clark are the last men standing as England's players had a tough time in the Yonex Sunrise Hong Kong Open second round.

For the second day in a row Robertson and Clark were the penultimate match. And they were on a winner again, beating Japan's Shintaro Ikeda and Shuichi Sakamoto 21-17 21-10 in the second round of the men's doubles.

In Friday's quarter-finals they will face Malaysia's Chan Chong Ming and Chew Choon Eng.

But their team-mates fell by the wayside in earlier action.

Sarah Bok and Scotland's Imogen Bankier were first to fall when seventh seeds Ha Jung Eun and Kim Min Jung of Korea toppled them in the women's doubles 21-14 21-17.

Then European champions and third seeds Clark and Donna Kellogg went down against Koo Kien Keat and Ng Hui Lin of Malaysia 21-18 21-18 while on an adjoining court eighth seeds Robert Blair and Bankier fell to China's Zheng Bo and Ma Jin just as they had in last week's China Open quarter-finals. This time the score was 21-10 21-16.

That was quickly followed by the exit of Blair and Chris Adcock (pictured) in the men's doubles as Koo Kien Keat struck again with Tan Boon Heong. The England pair put up a good showing but the Malaysians won 18-21 21-19 21-16, coming from behind in the second game to keep themselves in the match.

Former world junior silver medallists Adcock and Gabby White were England's last mixed doubles hopes but they fell to second seeds He Hanbin and Yu Yang of China 21-14 21-12.

And in the women's doubles Leeds pair White and Jenny Wallwork were beaten by second seeds Eei Hui Chin and Wong Pei Tty of Malaysia 21-18 21-5.

So it's now all down to Robertson and Clark to keep the flag flying.


Jenny Wallwork and Gabby White scored one of their best wins together when they defeated Dutch No 1 pair Judith Meulendijks and Yao Jie12-21 21-13 27-25 in a nailbiting women's doubles first round clash at the Hong Kong Open.

The contest lasted 62 minutes and the England pair saved three match points before winning the match on their fourth match point. This win will give the England girls a psychological boost if England meet Holland at the European Team Championships at Echo Arena Liverpool in February.

There was a good men's doubles win for Chris Adcock and Robert Blair as they overcame Taiwan's Chen Hung Ling and Lin Yu Lang 21-19 24-22, saving three game points before winning on their first match point.

Later Andrew Smith took on eighth seed Park Sung Hwan in the men's singles first round in a rematch following the England No 1s defeat by the Korean 21-19 21-15 in last week's China Open first round in Shanghai.

This time Smith grabbed the opening game 25-23 on his fifth game point before Park hit back to take the next two and the match 21-6 21-17 after a 55-minute battle. The match could have gone either way at 17-17 in the decider before Smith conceded four points in a row.

In the penultimate match of the day Nathan Robertson and Anthony Clark faced Thailand's Songphon Anugritayawon and Tesana Panvisvas and the England stars won 21-17 23-21 on their second match point having saved a game point at 20-19 down.

To follow the action check out www.tournamentsoftware.com


Nathan Robertson and Jenny Wallwork suffered another setback with their new partnership when they lost in the first round of the Hong Kong Open.

The England pair went down 9-21 21-13 21-19 in a tight 46-minute contest.

But third seeds Anthony Clark and Donna Kellogg went through to the second round with a 21-11 21-15 win over Lau Chi Yin and Chan Hung Yung of Hong Kong. The European champions are England's only pair to qualify for next month's Super Series Masters final.

Joining Clark and Kellogg in the Hong Kong second round were Robert Blair and Imogen Bankier. The Anglo-Scottish eighth seeds scored a good 24-22 21-14 win over Tan Wee Kiong and Woon Khe Wei.

Teenage prospects Chris Adcock and Gabby White also went through to the second round thanks to a 21-9 23-21 win over Chan Yun Lung and Mong Kwan Yi of Hong Kong.

Bankier returned to the court for a women's doubles victory with Sarah Bok, edging past Iao Mei Ha and Mak Ka Lei 21-7 21-6.


English National champions Anthony Clark and Nathan Robertson were forced to qualify in men's doubles at the Hong Kong Open, the 12th and final Super Series event of the year and the first of the year to start on a Monday.

But they did it in style, beating third qualifying seeds Lam Chi Man and Leong Kin Fair of Macau 21-9 21-2 in just 15 minutes.