Badminton England is pleased to confirm Wycombe Badminton Centre as the first official England Training Centre as the NGB continues its roll out of the new England Performance Pathway.
The Wycombe Badminton Centre is the first in a planned network of England Training Centres around the country that will support some of the nation's most talented players and create a culture in which they can achieve their true potential.
National Pathway Coach Graham Hurrell said “We have been working with Wycombe for a number of years now.
"They have consistently produced players that have progressed into the England Performance Pathway, they have strong links to schools and junior clubs locally and they have a solid financial structure.
"We look forward now to developing our relationship further to enhance the environment and connectivity with the coaches and players based at the National Badminton Centre".
Badminton England aim to establish a further two to three England Training Centres over the next couple of years.
The factors that will be considered when determining future centres include:
1. A record of producing players who have progressed into the England Performance Pathway
2. Quality and access to suitable facilities and court time (weekly training and camp activities)
3. Alignment with the England Performance Pathway
4. Current commitment to providing international training and competition experiences
5. A lead Coach who is, and has, the ambition to self-develop and those around them
6. A sound business model that ensures sustainability (financial, club/school links)
“We have an open mind as to how the network will expand," Hurrell said. "We are keen to work alongside, and with, training environments that already exist such as counties, Universities, clubs, Performance Centres and Academies where there is a proven record of delivering players into the England Performance Pathway and where there is a desire to work with us”.
Further announcements and updates will be made in the coming months as we begin to build the network and further integrate and align the Pathway with the England Performance Programme.