Dear Badminton Friends
Update 23 March 2020
To try and keep the badminton community up to date and informed, we have published an FAQ page today with the latest information we have. Please take a look and check back regularly.
Update 20 March 2020
Today we have issued a survey to clubs, leagues, counties and coaches to help us fully understand the challenges that you are currently facing and how we can help. If you have not received it directly you can access the clubs, counties and leagues survey here and the coaches survey here. We are continuing to have daily discussions with all those involved with badminton to work out how we can support you.
Following the government's announcement today, directing leisure centres to close, we are now advising that all grassroots badminton in England is postponed for the foreseeable future. While there is no clear direction with regards to badminton being played in other community facilities such as schools, community centres etc., we would strongly recommend the same action is taken as with leisure centres, and badminton ceases in all public facilities.
We are aware of the financial challenges this directive from Government will have on grassroots badminton – our clubs, coaches, County Badminton Associations and leagues particularly – and we would encourage you to complete the survey via the links above to help us understand the next steps to seeking support for you.
We are in regular communication with the Government and further updates will follow in due course.
Statement issued on 19 March 2020
It is our key priority to support all those involved in playing or delivering badminton. We are currently in conversation with government on behalf of all those within the badminton community to ensure we minimise the potential impact. For further guidance on financial support for individuals and businesses affected by the current situation, we recommend reading the latest advice published by Sport and Recreation Alliance.
Masters County Championships – with no promotion or relegation in this Championships all remaining fixtures, play-offs and finals are now cancelled, and the season will be closed as it stands. We will now plan for September, assuming we will be able to by then.
Circuit tournaments - all entries are currently suspended. Should the situation change then it may be possible for some to open again. We will keep you updated on the status of each individual tournament shortly.
Statement issued on 18 March 2020
As you will be aware, there is a significant amount of concern and uncertainty across the country right now as a consequence of the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Badminton England has been closely monitoring the situation for a number of weeks and we will continue to do so. It is changing fast and there are no right or wrong answers and no easy decisions.
Whilst the situation is clearly much bigger than badminton, and sport generally, the intention of this communication is to advise on local badminton and to tell you what we’re doing as an organisation. I hope you find it helpful.
Our position to date has been, and will remain, to follow the advice from the Government; ultimately, we want to help ensure that we all work together to play our part in minimising the risk of any spread of the virus.
We are monitoring Government advice in order to provide as specific guidance as possible regarding local badminton activity i.e. club badminton, local leagues etc.
As this is an evolving pandemic that is escalating very quickly, and Government are making daily statements at the moment, we suggest our clubs, leagues etc adopt Government advice and keep any social gatherings to an absolute minimum. We are all being told to only travel for essential trips and a game of badminton does not fall into this category.
The priority must be the health and wellbeing of all and, while we recognise that the advice may not be as specific as we would like at the moment, we will continue to work closely with grassroots badminton during this time. We are in regular communication with Government which is helping to understand the impact this situation is having within English badminton at all levels of the game. We will keep all advice under regular review and provide further updates as appropriate.
As a consequence of the latest Government guidance issued on 16 March 2020, particularly in relation to non-essential travel and contact, we have taken the following actions regarding national organised activity:
- The All England Masters is cancelled
- All senior and junior Badminton England sanctioned circuit tournaments are suspended with immediate effect.
- The Junior Inter County Tournament (ICT) is postponed. We are considering whether the tournament can be rescheduled later in the year and will advise in due course
- The Senior County Championships (SCC) is postponed. We are considering how the season will be concluded and we will advise in due course
- The Masters County Championships is postponed. We are considering how the season will be concluded and we will advise in due course
- The National Schools Championships is postponed. We are considering whether the tournament can be rescheduled later in the year and will advise in due course
- All coach education courses are suspended until further notice. We will continue to review the situation and will advise any changes to this position
Activity Under Consideration
- The All England Junior International Championships
- Junior England teams will be withdrawn from all competition until further notice. We will continue to review the situation and will advise any changes to this position
- Junior pathway squads will be cancelled until further notice. We will continue to review the situation and will advise any changes to this position
- We will operate working at home, for an indefinite period, with immediate effect. Our staff are equipped to respond via telephone and email and an updated contact list can be found here.
- We are also advising our boards, committees and staff to make use of video conferencing wherever possible. We are constantly reviewing this scenario and will provide updates if this changes. We will also advise these arrangements to those who are to take part
National Badminton Centre
- The National Badminton Centre will continue to operate business as usual but will remain under review. The only exception to this currently is that group exercise classes will cease with immediate effect until further notice
We encourage everyone involved in badminton in England to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the risk of infection by following Public Health England and government guidance. Information on the current recommendations is available on the NHS.UK website and the Public Health England blog.
Anyone who has been advised to self-isolate as a result of developing symptoms and/or recent international travel to destinations specified by the Government, should not take part in any badminton activities for the duration of the self-isolation period. For further information see the GOV.UK website and the NHS.UK website.
For up-to-date information and the latest updates on how COVID-19 affects the badminton community, please visit our dedicated web page. Alternatively, you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook where we'll share relevant updates. We are also constructing a set of helpful FAQ’s which will be included in the updates posted to our website.
These are unprecedented times and I recognise our actions may cause inconvenience. However, my first priority is the health and wellbeing of our staff, visitors, members and guests and the decisions taken are made accordingly.
Thank you for your understanding and stay safe.