The referee is the most senior official in a badminton tournament and they in overall charge of all matters which affect play and the players on and off court.
The referee shall have key responsibility for:
- Producing schedule and order of play
- Amendments to the draw and schedule
- The smooth running of play on the day
- Liaison with Umpire and Line Judge managers
- The correct implementation of regulations and the Laws of Badminton
- Completion of a tournament report
Key skills a referee should have include:
- A comprehensive knowledge of the regulations and the Laws of Badminton
- Be a decision maker
- Be able to interact effectively with coaches, players, players and other volunteers on the day
- Ensure fair play
Click here for the referee reports for the 2015-2016 season.