Position: Head of Marketing
Team: Badminton England, Operations
Responsible to: Chief Operating Officer
Responsible for: Marketing and Comms Manager, PR and Comms Manager, Content Designer, Marketing Insight Exec, Membership Administrator, Social Media Intern
Office location: Milton Keynes (with flexibility)
Salary grade: Grade 6 £50k-£60k
Hours: Full-time – 35.58 hours per week
Badminton England is the organisation for all things badminton in England for everyone who wants to get involved whatever age, ability or gender. Our people love playing, watching and supporting badminton. We want everyone in England to do the same and become part of the badminton community, whether as a player, coach, volunteer or fan.
With a million players playing every month, badminton is the nation’s most played racket sport and the sixth biggest sport overall. We want to inspire everyone to play more, support louder and love badminton, from this generation to the next.
The unique qualities of badminton make it accessible and enjoyable for anyone and everyone. And we work collaboratively with our partners and stakeholders to provide traditional and innovative opportunities for all to be involved; from primary school programmes to adult social badminton, from clubs to counties, and from our world class coaching development to our major events delivery.
With Olympic success at the heart of our ambitions, we are investing our knowledge and expertise to build a quality future for our sport by strengthening and evolving the domestic game and developing talent to achieve success on the international stage, inspiring the next generation of players and fans.
Following a restructure of the team, the Head of Marketing is a new role and a key member of the Operations Leadership Team. Providing strategic and operational direction to a small team of staff including communications, content, marketing and campaigns, this individual will lead the transformation of our marketing effectiveness. Through the development of content-led integrated marketing plans, external and internal communications and campaigns, they will deliver results across participation and commercial objectives.
Focus – pursuing goals with clarity, drive and determination
Ambition – striving to attain excellence with motivation and passion
Courage – having the confidence to evolve by making the right decisions for the right reasons
Teamwork – understanding and respecting each others’ roles and being a supportive unified team
To be one of the Nation’s most popular sports and consistently win medals at World, Olympic and Paralympic level
Are you an ambitious, talented and driven marketer with a passion for results? Are you hands-on and passionate about delivering brilliant content, comms and commercial results? Do you want a job that challenges you to grow grassroots community badminton, increase our number of members, promote our brilliant events and celebrate our Olympic and Paralympic athletes?
If the answer is yes, then you are the kind of person that we are looking for. We are building an operations team with a single-minded focus on delivering brilliant outcomes every time for players, volunteers and fans alike. Sales and marketing objectives will sit at the heart of the team, driving engagement and activation across the badminton community; we are now looking to appoint a passionate, skilled and ambitious marketer, with extensive content, sales, marketing and communications experience.
As the National Governing Body for the sport in England we work in partnership with the wider badminton community, especially our member clubs, facility operators, UK Sport, Sport England & our commercial partners, to grow opportunities for everyone to experience badminton whether playing, coaching, volunteering or watching.
Each year we host the premier Badminton World Tour event, the Yonex All England Championship, an event watched and loved around the world. A key part of your role will be to reach new audiences for the Championship, growing the brand and maximising attendance through ticket sales.
So if you are a hands-on, results-focussed marketer with a passion for sport and sports events at all levels, follow the links to apply ….
- Design strategies for all sales and marketing activity, including Digital, Communications and Creative
- Create and execute a strategic plan to tell the badminton story in new and compelling ways and drive breakthrough results in engagement, participation and membership
- Create and execute a strategic plan to sell the All England Championships and drive breakthrough engagement and attendance (both online and at the arena)
- Apply best practices to improve sales, marketing and communication activities, including lead/audience generation, email optimisation and digital experience improvements
- Build a strong product communication/PR strategy to achieve both domestic and international objectives
- Build a strong and effective sales and marketing team
- Manage the creative process from beginning to end – briefing, strategic development, planning, creative development, production, and implementation
- Set, monitor and report on team goals
- Ensure our brand message is strong and consistent across all channels and marketing efforts (like events, email campaigns, web pages and promotional material)
- Identify opportunities to reach new market segments
You will need to demonstrate:
- A broad range of professional management, communication and multi-channel sales and marketing skills and experience
- Significant demonstratable experience in consumer facing sales and marketing and/or communications and/or PR roles including measurement and ROI management
- Experience of development and delivery of content led sales and marketing strategy
- Passion for sports
- Cultural fit and the ability to collaborate effectively and gain buy-in across the wider teams, within and beyond Operations
- Experience of event marketing and management
- Ability in managing and motivating a multidisciplinary team with limited external agency use
- Experience of dealing with the media
- Understanding of importance and potential of CRM systems and databases
- Experience of using insights and analysis to shape strategic and operational plans
- Able to work strategically without close supervision whilst being a key and supportive member of the Senior Management Team
- Able to manage a heavy work programme, work to set priorities and achieve against targets
- An analytical, numerate and disciplined thinker who has the ability to think complex issues through and produce commercially sound judgments
Desirable but not essential experience:
- Understanding of sporting industry landscape domestically and internationally
- Understanding of public affairs
- Experience working closely with Boards and volunteers
- Knowledge of event planning and operational delivery
- Knowledge of lottery and exchequer funding agencies and their systems
Submissions are to be completed online by clicking here.
Applications to be received no later than Friday 14 May 2021.
Interviews to be held towards the end of May 2021.
Badminton England is committed to equality & diversity and welcomes applications from everyone regardless of their gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, background or circumstances.