Annual Season Change
In 2015 Badminton Europe international age groups were changed. The domestic age groups were changed to align the domestic and international age groups, whilst retaining a competition season running from July to June.
However, with age groups that do not match the competition season there is still a level of confusion especially in the younger age groups and for new players, and this has been exacerbated by players being a year younger under the new age groups.
As a result, the junior tournament season will be moved to an annual season from 1st January to 31st December to support a more simplified structure. This will align the age groups with the playing season, whilst remaining aligned to the Badminton Europe and Badminton World Federation.
What are the new features of the tournament structure?
• The new season will run to the calendar year, 1st January to 31st December
• Player age groups – no changes and will continue to be determined on 31st December each year
• Age groups will remain at U19, U17, U15, U13 and U11
When will this start?
Alignment of age groups and tournament season will take place in 2019-20, by extending the season 6 months.
• 2019-20 season will run from 1st July 2019 to 31st December 2020
• From 1st January 2021 the season will run each year from 1st January to 31st December
E.g. A current U15 player (born 2005):
• 1st July 2019 – 31st December 2020 will be an U16 player - playing U17 Circuit
• 1st January 2021 – 31st December 2021 will be an U17 player - playing U17 Circuit
• 1st January 2022 – 31st December 2022 will be an U18 player – playing U19 Circuit
• 1st January 2023 – 31st December 2023 will be an U19 player – playing U19 Circuit
• 1st January 2024 onwards becomes a senior player
Please see FAQs below. If you have not found the information that you are looking for please send your questions to email@example.com