The Badminton Young Official Award (YOA) is aimed at young people aged 14-19. The 4 hour course is a combination of practical and theory sessions designed to equip the Young Official with the necessary skills and a qualification that will allow them to officiate at badminton events.
- The Laws of Badminton
- Scoring and Umpiring
- Service Judging
- Line Judging
- Match Control
- Health & Safety
The YOA is delivered by trained BADMINTON England Tutors. Each candidate will receive a resource pack including a Young Officials Student CD ROM.Following the course candidates will be supported to gain experience as an official. Once they have done this they will receive a Certificate of Completion
Following the completion of this Award the Young Official will be directed towards officiating at badminton competition, starting with low level events, and leading onto some being selected to officiate at high profile events.
Prior to the attending a Young Official Award course, why don't you test your knowledge of the Badminton Laws by completing the Online YOA Test
Or, if you have completed the Young Officials Award already, go ahead and GET INVOLVED!
- Being a good leader
- Organising a session
- Leading a session
- Leading an event (Optional)
- Understand what makes a good Leader
- Communicate effectively
- Plan activities appropriate to the abilities of the group
- Demonstrate activities and use appropriate descriptions
- Organise a Primary Festival for young badminton players
- Assist in the delivery of SmashUp! sessions
- Organise a round of the National Schools Championships (Optional)
- Understand the basics of officiating badminton games and activities responsibly (Optional)
All resources to deliver and support the YLA can be downloaded from our YLA Moodle page. In order to access this you will need to purchase a licence from Badminton England. The YLA can be delivered by teachers or by Badminton England specific tutors.
If you have any further questions or would like more information please contact the Education Team on email@example.com or 01908 268400.